Wednesday, June 20, 2012

5 Reasons Why You Should Watch Girls

One of my newest favorite television shows is the cleverly written and hilarious Girls, which airs on HBO. Just like the show's tagline suggests, these fresh out of college girls are (cue sarcasm) Living the dream. One mistake at a time. I know simply telling you to go watch it won't do any good, so here are my top 5 reasons why you should tune in Monday nights (when the show comes back from hiatus) or get your paws on an HBO GO log in pronto (thanks, Jazzy Louie!).

 
1. New comer Lena Dunham writes/stars, Judd Apatow produces. Before Girls, I knew nothing about Lena Dunham. Now, I want to be her best friend because I have a feeling she is just as quirky and witty as her writing. Needless to say, big things are coming this girl's way. And Judd freakin' Apatow produces the show. C'mon!

2. 30 minutes. This one is quickie. Watch it while you're on the treadmill, your lunch break at work, whatever. Bottom line, there is no excuse for missing out. I promise that it's worth it!

3. This scene.  In episode 3, Hannah (Dunham's character) has a dance party in her room with Marnie (played by Allison Williams) after a shitty day to Robyn's Dancing On My Own. If this doesn't scream #shitgirlsdo, I don't know what does.


4. Shosh. The most naive and innocent of the girls is Shoshanna Shapiro (portrayed by Zosia Mamet). Her one liners and jumps suits are just too much, but at the same time, not nearly enough. HuffPost even made a Sh*t Shoshanna Says video!

5. Love 'em, but I don't envy them (too much). Typically, when I'm obsessed with a show it's because I'm clearly Jelly Clarkson of the perfect life/clothes that the characters have. While I am definitely obsessed with Jessa's (played by Jemima Kirke) bohemian/hip/perfect wardrobe, the girls' lives are pretty damn complicated (don't even get me started on their love lives). In many ways, they're just like my friends and I: broke twenty-something-year-olds who are just trying to figure out what the hell is next after college.

1 comment: