Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Rock

If there is one thing you should know about me it is that I am easily influenced by hype. By definition, hype means "to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily." (Thank you, dictionary.com) Case and point: I'm a huge Justin Bieber fan.

Anyway, several weeks ago, a friend told me that a massive rock was found in Riverside County, and that it was going to be making its way to LACMA for __________ (at that point I had already stopped listening). Cut to about three weeks ago, I start hearing more and more about this massive, 340-ton rock. I specifically remember sitting at work, laughing my ass off at the hype surrounding this thing with my fellow co-workers. I even posted the silly Los Angeles Times blog post about its arrival on my Facebook page for all to laugh at. Little did I know, this was the beginning stages of my newest obsession. Cut to two weeks ago, I visited the rock one evening. Cut to last Sunday afternoon, I visited it again.

I know, I know, it's ridiculous! But the rock, which is currently being turned into an art installation called Levitated Mass, has its own Twitter, people. Fellow Angelenos even loitered around LACMA just to experience its arrival 4:30 AM. Considering that it could only travel a couple miles per hour, the rock stopped in cities such as Lakewood and Long Beach, where block parties and celebrations were held in honor of its quick little cameo. Clearly, this thing has become some kind of a celebrity.

Needless to say, I'm fascinated (for all the wrong reasons, obvi). I'll keep you guys updated because now you care, but you don't want to admit it. It's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment